Thursday, June 23, 2011


So a few months ago I purchased a BeautyBar.com e-certificate worth $40 for only $20. I had never used the site before, but they actually have some good quality products available (philosophy, Stila, LORAC, etc…) I had my mind made up I was getting some Stile products, however once I got on the site and started shopping around I found this color set from LORAC, the “Close Up: Real Life to Red Carpet Eye Tutorial” set.


The set included:

  • Behind the Scenes Eye Primer
  • Starry-Eyed Baked Eye Shadow Trio in Movie Star
  • Special Effects Mascara in Black
  • Front of the Line PRO Eyeliner in Black
  • Double Ended Blending/ Smudging Brush
 
Front

Opened to Cat Eye Tutorial
Special Effects Mascara in Black
Front of the Line PRO Eyeliner in Black
Behind the Scenes Eye Primer
Double Ended Brush  
Starry-Eyed Baked Eye Shadow Trio in Movie Star
       



This kit also includes a step by step look tutorial. There are 3 different looks and you can remove the look from the book and stick to a mirror, it’s like a window cling.

My thoughts:

  • Behind the Scenes Eye Primer (retail $20): I felt like the eye primer was good, but nothing great. I currently use Urban Decay Primer Potion and I don't feel like it lasted longer than my UD primer. I don't really have anything bad to say about it either. It did work well.

  • Starry-Eyed Baked Eye Shadow Trio in Movie Star: I like these colors and they compliment each other nicely.  I don't think you can buy this separately, at least I couldn't find it. Might be hard to replace.

  • Special Effects Mascara in Black: Left my lashes clumpy and it flaked on me. I had black flakes on my face, not a lot but some. I didn't like this mascara at all. I don't think you can buy this separately, at least I couldn't find it. No love loss there.

  • Front of the Line PRO Eyeliner in Black: What is the old saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?" So I’m going to stay quiet - now that just wouldn't be me then LOL. The formula is runny almost watery. Every time I opened it, and no mater how I opened it, liquid liner flew everywhere. I had black spots on my clothes, my desk and even the walls. I don't think you can buy this separately, at least I couldn't find it. To sum this one up FAIL.

  • Double Ended Blending/ Smudging Brush: Another fail. Would have been better to put a q-tip in the set. The brush was just a poor quality brush and did not work for me. Maybe I'm spoiled by my MAC and Sigma brushes, but I did not like this brush. I don't think you can buy this separately, at least I couldn't find it. Which there is probably a good reason for?

  • Tutorial Guide: I did like this. I liked how it gave you step by step instructions on the looks and the looks it shows you are very easy. The steps are also very easy to follow along to.

Overall I would have to say I did not like 1/2 of the items in this set, but the other half I did like. The only reason I would purchase this set again would be to get the eye shadow trio, but I didn't love it enough to cause me to spend $36 to get it. Just my opinion

Have a fabulous day!!!

Foxy

3 comments:

Miranda said...

well that just sucks that you didn't like 1/2 the stuff! I really like those eyeshadow colors though and least you liked those! haha

Jo Woods said...

Hey, I've given you a blog award :)

http://plymouthbarbie.blogspot.com/2011/06/butterfly-award.html#more

Love Jo xxx

Starryskies214 said...

Oooh, that shadow trio is gorgeous!! That really sucks though that the rest of the stuff is a no go. Too bad they don't sell that trio separately because it's really beautiful!